The PowerHouse stands on 6000 piles over the Hudson River with unparalleled views of the New York City skyline and the Palisades. Built in 1907, it will be converted into monumental and intimate spaces for exhibitions, events, conferences and performances, transforming an abandoned icon of the industrial era into an inspiring cultural and social destination.
The plant was designed by Charles Reed and Alan Stem, renowned civic architects and co-architects of Grand Central Station in New York City. The Romanesque-Revival style, multi-building complex features distinct architectural expression, reinforced by the massing, materials and articulation of the facade. The PowerHouse is a superb example of the industrial architecture of the period. It is one of the only remaining power plants constructed for the electrification of the New York Central Railroad, and has been abandoned since the 1970s.
The PowerHouse will transform the Yonkers waterfront into an inspiring destination at the crossroads of history, nature and culture. A fusion of 21st-century design approach and restoration methods will preserve the property’s architecture, interiors, landscape and historical legacy.
The Glenwood Power Plant (also known as the Yonkers Power Plant) in Yonkers, built between 1904 and 1906, is one of two power stations constructed for the electrification of the New York Central Railroad from Grand Central Terminal to the northern suburbs of New York City. As an integral part of the monumental civic vision of Grand Central Terminal—which included electrification of the line, construction of the new terminal building, the re-establishment of Park Avenue and the cross streets by depressing the tracks below street level, and the development of an entire district of new real estate—the Glenwood Power Plant is of significant historical value.
The power station was designed by the architecture firm of Charles Reed & Alan Stem who, in association with the firm Warren & Wetmore, also designed Grand Central Terminal. Specialists in the design of railroad buildings, Reed & Stem designed both the Glenwood and the Port Morris Power Stations, the associated substations and various local stations on the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad lines.
The Glenwood Power Plant is an outstanding example of early 20th-century engineering and is the last remaining and intact power station constructed for the electrification of the Grand Central railroad. Its monumental scale and Romanesque-Revival style architecture are fine examples of the industrial architecture of the period. The New York Central Railroad owned and operated the power station between 1907-1936, when it served the sole function of powering the railroad.